Today I was craving creamy, spicy Hummus Dip. When I realized I didn’t have a couple of the key ingredients on hand, rather than being disappointed, I decided to experiment and came up with a pretty amazing product.
I was out of fresh lemons and tahini, so I substituted apple cider vinegar for the fresh lemon juice and almond butter for the tahini. The resulting dip, Hummus 2.0, is delicious!
Hummus 2.0 is:
- Diabetic Friendly
- Detox Friendly
- Gluten Free
- High Fiber
1½ cup cooked chickpeas
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons almond butter
1 – 2 cloves peeled garlic
½ tsp sea salt
2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon cayenne powder (more or less to taste)
¼ to ½ cup water (or liquid from chickpeas if using canned ones)
1. Put smallest amount of all ingredients into blender
2. Turn blender on low and slowly increase speed, using plunger to keep food in blades
3. Add more water if required to keep the hummus in a dip like consistency
4. Turn blender to high for 30 seconds, and then turn off
5. Taste and add more garlic and/or cayenne to suit taste
6. Blend again until smooth and creamy
7. Enjoy as a dip for cut veggies, nuts, crackers, etc
Can be stored in fridge for several days.