Garlic scapes are the curly stalks that develop on hard-necked variety of garlic plants. They are cut off when they start to curl to allow the developing bulb in the ground to grow bigger before harvest.
These edible stalks are tender, juicy and have an incredible garlic flavour that mellows with cooking.
Only available for a short period of time in late spring, it is rare to find fresh scapes in grocery stores. Look for them at farmer’s markets and fruit stands or plant your own.
This version of a pesto type spread is potent and a little goes a long ways. Since it makes approximately 2 cups, you can put half cup portions in the freezer for later use.
Use it on potatoes, rice, pasta and stir fry dishes; rub onto fish, chicken and veggies before grilling; also makes an unusual base sauce for pizza.
Almond & Garlic Scape Pasta is:
- Diabetic Friendly
- Detox Friendly
- Gluten Free
- High Fiber
- Vitamix Recipe
8 – 10 fresh garlic scapes
2/3 cup almonds, soaked and rinsed
1/2 – 3/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1. Soak almonds for a couple of hours or over night. Rinse and drain.
2. Wash and cut the garlic scapes into manageable pieces.
3. Put 1/2 cup of olive oil and all other ingredients in the Vitamix (or food processor)
4. Pulse the Vitamix, using the plunger to push the ingredients into the blades.
5. Blend until smooth, adding extra olive oil if required to create the desired consistency.
Can be stored in fridge for up to a month or frozen in small quantities.